NBE Webinar Series 2024 - 01: Taking the Risk out of Risk Assessments
Registration is now open for the first NBE webinar in our 2024 series!
The virtual CPD event will begin on Wednesday 31st January at 2:00pm with a presentation on Taking the Risk out of Risk Assessments; a Guide to Formal Intermediate and Advanced Risk Assessments.
The webinar is anticipated to run for about 1 hour and will include a Q&A session.
Our guest speaker is Dr Louis Watson, Clinical Moving and Handling Facilitator at London North West Healthcare NHS Trust.
This presentation will mobilize Dr Watson's 9 years of post-graduate training and knowledge of formal risk assessments in two parts; intermediate and advanced.
- Introduction covering the importance of risk assessments from a legal and policy context and its essential place for staff and patient safety.
- Dr Watson will show why formal training and understanding are essential in formal risk assessments, and those attending this webinar will leave with that critical training.
- Examples of formal risk assessments will be given as well as how they are used as a basis for standard operating procedure development, policy development, training core content, and education.
- Understand how to conduct a weighted formal risk for manual handling
- Understand how to take your quantified MH risk and adjust give a realistic risk of MH injury
- Understand how your formal weighted risk assessment can be used to drive departmental change
- Understand how to decide what variables to include in my formal risk assessment
- Understand how you can drive organizational or departmental change on the back of your formal risk assessmentment.
Dr Louis Watson has been working in healthcare for 26 years with the last 20 years in North America. During his career, he mainly worked in critical care, ICU, recovery, and the operating room. He moved from Registered nursing within these specialties to various educator, managerial, and executive director roles. His last role (in Canada) involved patient surgical safety and reducing surgical site infections. This role led to him completing his MSc (in Epidemiology) and PhD (in Biostatistics and simulations). During his post-graduate studies, he received extensive training on risk assessments and risk simulations (for the course and at John Hopkins Institute, Baltimore). When he returned to England, he completed a Law degree which now gives him a unique holistic approach to risk assessments. He now works in clinical health and safety and patient safety.
If you are interested in sponsoring this webinar, please contact our Sponsorship Manager, Jenny Lowrey: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this is an NBE members-only event. You will receive your own unique link to join the webinar via Zoom once your registration has been approved. This link can be used by one individual attendee and is intended for the use of the individual NBE member who registers to attend. We can only issue certificates of attendance for CPD use if an individual has formally registered and attended the event.
Registration will close at 1:00pm on Wednesday 31st January.